Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Log Bridge Regional trail and the "Accident" June 5, 2009

After having breakfast it was time to get the bike and hit the road - while I have done parts of the Log Bridge trail before I hadn't done it completely and with a new Suspension Bridge across the Englishmen River a loop opportunity also existed as well as a visit to the adjacent Englishmen River Regional Park - the route that I took from the campsite and then to the start off of Industrial road in Parksville is the popular one. The first part is great for bikes but as you get closer to the water the trail becomes more technical and you have to push your bike - there are alternate starts where the bike is supreme.




This is one of the weirdest notices I have ever seen - dogs are responsible for the decline in the fish stocks in the river?



Some interesting rock formations where the river many eons ago carved out its route - by now you will be pushing your bike as staircases are used to navigate along the River.



Finally the new 2007 suspension bridge comes into view - this was a new attraction for me.

A little history - the name Log Bridge comes from a bridge that use to be in this place on the original Nanaimo - Port Alberni highway and was removed years ago.







It was here after crossing the Bridge that I went to do a little exploring - wanted to see where a logging road lead to - suppose to take you down to the river and the Englishmen River Regional Park - well while slowly cycling downhill I must have hit a patch of soft sand or something because next thing I know my bike and me parted ways - As I was falling I ended up landing hard on my hands and wrists - at first glance - some blood, scrapes and some pain but it didn't appear to be anything that would necessitate a 911 call.

After my initial observation I figured I better start to see if I can make it back to the Park which is about 6 kms away.

The bike appears to be in working condition.

I am able to ride back to the campsite but can't put a lot of pressure on my palms - cleaned up the wounds and relaxed - I knew that there was no hospital in the Parksville area - the closest emergency is Nanaimo.

I decided to see how I felt - because of the lack of intense pain I was pretty sure that nothing was broken and that some of the current pain could be from the shock or trauma from the fall - I still had a couple of things that I wanted to attempt to do and in a hour or so I felt better so I continued on with my plans.

POSTCRIPT:

They are detailed in my next post BUT I will state that I did later in the evening go to an after hours walk in clinic where after a two hour wait I was examined by a doctor who confirmed that I likely didn't have anything broken but if I wanted an x-ray - Nanaimo would be my option - she suggested a pain killer and lots of ice and try and keep the wounds try and covered.

As I am typing this a few days later - I still have some soreness but for the most part have recovered - the wounds are the swelling is going down.

An eventful day

Cheers

Dennis


No comments: