Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The ferry ride over to Vancouver Island + camping at Rathtrevor Park June 4, 2009

In advance of having a FOYP director's meeting in Nanaimo on Saturday and wanting to take advantage of the cheaper mid week ferry fares I headed out on the 12:30 Coastal Renaissance ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay in Nanaimo - it was an uneventful crossing on one of the newer BC Ferries - while the car decks appeared full there was lots of room to move around - being sunny and hot and although there was a breeze I spent most of my time on the upper deck where I chatted with a group fo people mostly from down under who would be heading for Victoria and then back to Vancouver to board a cruise ship to Alaska.








Before I knew it Newcastle Island is in site and the announcement is made to return to your car and get ready to disembark- I then head up Island to Parksville and the Rathtrevor Provincial Park - which is one of the nicest parks anywhere - it is not to busy as I check in for a two night stay but am told that there likely won't be a spot if I want to stay over for an additional nigth - the warm weather has the camping crowd out - I opt to put up my tent since I am staying more than one night rather than sleeping in the back of the truck.

I am given site #141 - close to the beach and the trails.

After getting settled in I take off on the bike for a tour of the area - having been there before I knew most of the trails but it is always nice to get some exercise.

Tomorrow my plan is to bike the Log Bridge trail and then either out to Port Alberni or up to Mt Washington. It would turn out to be a little more than I bargained for.

Details in the next post

Cheers

Dennis

No comments: