Thursday, March 26, 2009

Strange places to meet old friends

In my many years of employment and membership in outdoor and political clubs I got to know a fairly large group of like minded individuals most of whom I have long ago lost contact with so imagine my elation when in the course of a few days I renew my friendship with two of these old chums.

The first meet took place while I was out hiking on the Bunzten Lake trail on Sunday when a couple and their dog passed me on the trail - while I saw the individual I didn't think anything of it until he stopped and said -" do I know you from somewhere back in the 70's" - as soon as he told me his name - Andrew - I remembered where we knew each other from - the outdoor club at the YMCA in Vancouver - he reminded me that he was the one that came up with our club name - The Hygh Tymers - after introducing me to his wife and me becoming friends with their dog - we chatted for a few minutes until they had to leave to get back to trailhead and another engagement.

The second chance meeting happened last night - after dinner I often go for a walk along the Granville Entertainment district - I was just about done when I heard my name called at the corner of Davie and Granville - I look to see who it was and it was Peter - he was a long time member of the health club at the YMCA and I hadn't seen him since the building closed over two years ago - he was one of those members I frequently spent a fair amount of time chatting to in the HC lounge on a wide range of topics.

Anyway - we retreated inside the Blenz coffee shop at that corner where we spend more than an hour updating our activities and reviewing the state of affairs in the City, the Province, the country, the world, sports etc.

Even after we left the coffee shop we talked for another 30 0r s0 minutes on the street - he is really looking forward to getting back to the Y when it reopens next May.

So you never know where you will meet some of your old friends.

................................................................................

After the long bike ride yesterday I will be taking it easy today - a short walk along the seawall - lunch - a visit to the gym and then this evening a Y related event at our Langara site where I will probably see some more old friends.

................................................................................

Need to finish off the work party report for the FOYPS and do a little spring house cleaning - also need to figure out how to use the GPS function on my Blackberry.

Cheers

Dennis

No comments: