Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Four days of fun filled activites May 15 - 18, 2009

This past weekend was a holiday one here in Canada as we celebrated the late Queen Victoria's birthday - in years past I would head out camping with the boys but now that most of them have traded their tenst for hotel rooms and the fact that I am retired and can take off when I want we all do our own thing - there were three events or activities if you wish that I did over this period not counting the celebrating of the big Jim's birthday with some friends at the Keg on Saturday night.

Because of how I uploaded the images - this entry will have the latest entry first - yes I could spend some time reversing the images but the sun has come out and I want to take a short walk before hitting the gym for a steam etc.

EVENT THREE - A VISIT TO THE RHODODENDRON DISPLAY IN STANLEY PARK MONDAY MAY 18, 2009


My last event this weekend was a short bike ride down to Stanley Park to catch the Rhododendron display near the Pitch and Putt golf course - this is always a beautiful sight at this time of year and I wanted to catch it before the bloom have finished - managed to get the ride in and lunch finished just before a major afternoon rain shower hit the area.

For info on the history of this display and even more photos checkout the Vancouver Parks Board web site on this attraction.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/rhodos.htm






EVENT TWO: HIKING THE LOWER FALLS - EAST CANYON TRAIL GOLDEN EARS PARK SUNDAY MAY 17, 2009:

Sunday was a day hike trip to Golden Ears Park east of Vancouver and a short 8KM loop trip along the Lower Falls trail on Gold Creek and then a short scramble up the hillside to connect with the main East Canyon trail and a return to the parking lot.






EVENT ONE FRIDAY MAY 15, 2009 - BIKING THE SEYMOUR VALLEY TRAIL IN THE LOWER SEYMOUR CONSERVATION RESERVE

First up was a trip over to the North Shore and a visit to the Lower Seymour Conservation area - a watershed reserve area that is now open to the public and that has a wide array of recreational activities available.

On this particular trip I am on my bike and will be cycling some 11 KMs up the Seymour valley trail to the Salmon Hatchery - access to the dam is restricted for the time being as an upgrade project is being undertaken.

I return part way back on the main Valley trail until I get to the Connector trail which will take me down to the Mid - Valley Viewpoint and onto the Fishermen's trail and then back to my truck in the parking lot.

In all about 28 KM's of riding.





Hope you have enjoyed my brief summary of my weekend activities - now it is time to head out for a walk, lunch and then a steam and clean at the gym.

Cheers

D

No comments: